The hiker will be interested in the many trails that surround Salvage, Glovertown and that are available in Terra Nova National Park. In addition, most of the communities on the Peninsula offer trails to meet the needs of the casual to the hardy hiker. The waters of this area, with the many sheltered coves and narrow sounds attract kayakers and sea-goers from far and near. An hour's ferry ride from Burnside will take you to the beautiful Cottle's Island and the tranquil community of St. Brendan's which will provide a glimpse of the isolated island life that has helped shape the character of this unique province.
The Eastport Peninsula is noted for its many white sandy beaches on which you can relax and enjoy a warm summer's day. At the tip of the Peninsula is the beautiful fishing village of Salvage (pronounced with an emphasis on the last syllable and rhyming with age). Here you can hike the many trails, talk to a fisherman, happen on one of the many celebrities that call this community home or capture a beautiful picture as a memento of your visit. Each of the Peninsula's small communities has a unique personality from Burnside in the west, to St. Chad's, Eastport, Sandy Cove, Salvage and the community whose name captures the true spirit of the peninsula; Happy Adventure.
The Festival Capital of Newfoundland and Labrador, is an apt description of this region, with scheduled events throughout the Summer and Fall. The vibrant arts community weaves its influence through many of the summer offerings. These include but are not limited to:
- June 23rd - July 9th - Paul Andrew's Exhibit - Gallery
- June 28th - Ian Foster and the Thieves
- June 30th - Terry Penney
- July 1 - Canada Day Celebrations
- July 4 - Tribute to Broadway - Featuring Zippy Peddle and Jonathan Monro (Tilly)
- July 7th - August 2nd - Textile Exhibit - Fabrics of Life - Gallery
- July 9th - Siamsa Singers - 30 member choir performing in Gaelic, English and French
- July 12th - 20th - 11th Annual Roy Babstock Beaches Accordian Festival
- July 25th & 26th - Eastpen Players Summer Sizzler Concert
- August 1st - 3rd - Annual Eastport Peninsula Seafest
- August 4th - August 23rd Art Exhibition - Gallery
- August 7th - Beaches Library Benefit Concert
- August 8th - 10th - Winterset in the Summer Literary Festival
- August 15th - 17th, - Happy Adventure Pirate Festival
- August 22nd - 23rd - Country Music Festival
- August 24th - 31st - Women of Country
- August 25th - Sept. 10th Annual "Road to the Beaches" local art Exhibit - Gallery
- August 30th - Shriners' Benefit Concert
- September 5th - Abba Tribute
- October 9th - 13th- Eastport Peninsula Agricultural Festival
A short drive will bring you to Newfoundland and Labrador's oldest National Park - Terra Nova and its many attractions from hiking trails to tidal pools, from hilltop vistas to tour boats out the bay. A short drive of just 50 km. will bring the golfing enthusiast to the challenging Terra Nova Golf Course located at the Eastern Entrance to the Park, near the community of Port Blandford while the western entrance is graced by the Splash and Putt Activity Park and the Town of Glovertown with the House of Diamonds Art and Craft Gallery and the Ken Diamond Natural Park and trails. .
Those wishing to tour this region of the province might certainly consider making the centrally located Eastport Peninsula homebase as they travel to Gander, Bonavista, Trinity and/or Twillingate all within a two and a half hour drive.